Who is Kiren Rijiju?
Kiren Rijiju is Union Minister of State for Home Affairs of India.
Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju is alleged for an involvement in a Rs 450 crore hydel project scam in Arunachal Pradesh.
The nature and extent of the graft allegations against Rijiju as follows:
1. In a petition before the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT), a Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Satish Verma has alleged that his services as the Central Vigilance Officer (CVO) of a power corporation were curtailed after he flagged a transportation scam worth Rs 450 crore involving Rijiju's cousin and a fraudulent land deal in Gujarat.
2. Verma has sent a 129-page report to CVC, CBI and Ministry of Power, in which he has alleged corruption in the construction of two dams for 600 MW Kameng Hydro Electric Project — one of the biggest hydro-electric projects in Arunachal Pradesh. The site of the project — West Kameng — falls in Rijiju's parliamentary constituency Arunachal West.
3. Verma alleges that several fake and inflated bills were presented by contractors to allegedly siphon off money in the name of transporting rocks needed for the dam construction. The report says that the transportation cost was decided arbitrarily, and many transport challans and records provided by the contractor, Patel Engineering Limited (PEL), were found to be fake. Kiren Rijiju's cousin Goboi Rijiju was one of the sub-contractors in the project.
4. The reimbursement of PEL's bills for the period between May and July 2015, after Verma sent an advisory to the Head of Project flagging the alleged irregularities. However, on November 9, MoS Kiren Rijiju wrote a letter to the Ministry of Power, saying the funds should be released.
5. Apart from the report, evidence against Rijiju includes a taped conversation between Verma and Goboi Rijiju, in which the latter offered to help the CVO with a promotion, on the behest of 'bhaiya' (Kiren Rijiju), if the officer cleared the payments that had been stuck for months.