“First Indian Sign Language Dictionary of 3000 words” was launched. The dictionary has been developed by Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre (ISLR&TC) under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), M/o Social Justice & Empowerment.
The English and Hindi terms for the dictionary will also help deaf children to learn English.
The ISL dictionary consists of words of five categories:
1. Everyday Terms – This category includes terms that are used in everyday communication. The videos contain the sign and the corresponding English term.
2. Legal Terms – This category includes videos for 237 legal terms help explain complicated legal terminology like “Affidavit”, “Acquittal”, etc. That are used in various legal situations.
3. Academic Terms – To help deaf children understand complex academic concepts, the academic dictionary contains explanations for terms like “Nervous System”, “Rotation” and “Revolution”, etc. The words are from various subjects like Physics, Geography, Biology, Maths, etc. This category contains 229 videos for 212 terms.
4. Medical Terms – This category includes 200 sign videos for 200 medical terms will help the deaf community to better understand medical terminology used in hospitals and in medical situations.
5. Technical Terms – This category has 206 videos of sign and explanations in ISL for 204 technical terms that are used in vocational training or in computer courses.
(Adapted from PIB)