Nepal was officially made a dialogue partner of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
As a dialogue partner, Nepal will be able to participate in the multi-field cooperation of the SCO.
About Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- SCO is a Eurasian economic, political and military organisation.
- 8 Members: China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- Observers: Afghanistan, Iran, Mongolia and Belarus.
- Headquarters: Beijing, China.
- Established: 2001 in Shanghai by the leaders of 6 countries viz. China, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
- It was an outcome of The Shanghai Five grouping established in 1996 by Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan.
- SCO’s first enlargement was in 2001 with addition of Uzbekistan and second enlargement was in July 2015 with addition of 2 new members India and Pakistan. (India and Pakistan are not yet full members of SCO. The procedure for their membership is not yet complete).