Indian Railways launched the country’s first Antyodaya Express between Ernakulam (Kerala) and Howrah (West Bengal). Antyodaya Express is a long-distance, fully unreserved, superfast train service, for the common man to be operated on dense routes.
What is Antyodaya Express ?
Antyodaya Express was one of the trains proposed in Railway budget last year. Antyodaya is a train only for unreserved passengers.
7 things to know about Antyodaya Express
1. Antyodaya Express will be a long-distance, fully unreserved, superfast train service, operated on dense routes.
2. The trains will have facilities like water purifiers, indication display boards for toilet occupation, bio-toilets, cushioned luggage racks with coat hooks, and mobile charging points.
3. Antyodaya Express will also have fire extinguishers, anti-theft arrangement, LED lights, and enhanced capacity dustbins.
4. Although similar to the Deen Dayalu coaches introduced earlier this year for unreserved travel, Antyodaya Express will be a full train, with its coaches connected internally.
5. The trains are designed by Integral Coach Factory (ICF). The train’s LHB-type (Linke Hofmann Busch) coaches have been manufactured in Chennai.
6. For the first time, Railways are trying out operations with locomotives at both ends. This will ensure faster acceleration and deceleration.
7. Two Antyodaya trains will be running on the Howrah- Ernakulam-Howrah and Hatia-Ernakulam-Hatia routes soon.