The Union Government launched Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) for providing free of cost LPG (cooking gas) connections to women from BPL Households.
It was launched from Maldepur Morh, Ballia in Uttar Pradesh. The tagline for the scheme is Swachh Indhan, Behtar Jeevan.
- Under PMUY, each of the beneficiaries will receive monetary support of about 1,600 rupees to get a connection of cooking gas.
- The scheme seeks to empower women and protect their health by shifting them from traditional cooking based on unclean cooking fuels or on fossil fuels to clean cooking gas.
- It is being implemented by Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. It is for the first time this ministry is implementing a welfare scheme.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
- It will be implemented over three years’ time frame namely in the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- Unclean cooking fuels are main source of indoor air pollution that causes non-communicable diseases such as heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer.
- They are also responsible for a significant number of acute respiratory illnesses in young children and BPL families are worst victims of unclean cooking fuels.